Welcome to Balancing Glass Jars. A place to explore simple vibrant fare, made from scratch, with natural, seasonal, whole food ingredients.
My name’s Nicola and…
I created this blog as…
A way of challenging myself to learn more about nutrition* and why eating the way I do makes me feel so good. It is also a place to explore and develop my own creativity in the kitchen. I hope it will continue as a starting point for people just like me who somehow missed the basics. My aim is to post once a week.
You’ll find here…
Mostly vegetarian whole food recipes. A list of basics to get you going. Technique tips and pointers that make time in the kitchen easier. And lovely links to keep you travelling and discovering.
A few other things about me…
- I value community and am enjoying carving out my own in Newcastle after moving up from Melbourne 4 years ago.
- I might love healthy food, but that has yet to stretch to cutting out caffeine. Having spent 10 years in the hospitality industry in Melbourne, I definitely appreciate a solid flat white.
- Now that I’m more confident in the kitchen and we have our own house, I’ve moved on to the garden… hopefully I’ll have green thumbs one day.
- In September 2015, little Léonard joined our family
- Ever so slowly I’m learning french – one day Juls and I hope to live in France and all those hours will pay off. Maybe I can learn with Léo.
Everyone has a food journey, mine goes something like this…
- At 17 living in China, I called mum to ask how to make scrambled eggs – just a little concerning…
- At 22 I met Julien, a Frenchman (and now my fiancé) who knew his way around a kitchen; he put my skills well and truly to shame.
- At 24 I graduated as an osteopath, found my dream job in an integrated health centre and rediscovered the meaning of the word ‘weekend’.
Surrounded by a new family with a passion for health & wellness, and finally with the time to invest in my own interests and health, I set out to learn how to cook. Somewhere along the way I discovered the joy of being in the kitchen, the pleasure of preparing a meal for loved ones and just how good the body can feel when we give it the good stuff it craves.
I want to share those joys and pleasures, and perhaps hope that I can provide a little inspiration and guidance for anyone starting out on their own food journey.
- On facebook, I post updates on what I’m working on, take requests for recipes and share some of my favourite blog posts from the week just gone.
- Pinterest is my own personal recipe collection. I only pin healthy stuff, most of it from my favourite blogs. By no means have I tried it all, but I leave a comment /review when I have.
- Instagram will show you the fun I have in my kitchen and garden day to day.
Any questions or queries – please do get in touch, I would love to hear from you.
* I am not a nutritionist, dietitian or naturopath. The health information included in posts is from my own readings and research and is referenced with * links for those of you who want to know more.